The mine was one of the earliest large scale operations to be developed on the Witwatersrand. First production was in 1942 and large scale commercial ceased in August 2013 when the mine went into provisional liquidation. The mine was operated by typically labour intensive underground methods common to most South African mines. The plant had a peak capacity of 4.3Mt/a. In the later years of the mine as underground production fell mill feed was augmented with feed from dump tailings.