Production began on the Scunthorpe site in 1939 with two blast furnaces, with two more added in 1954. The plant produces medium sections and wire rod for the construction industry. Since 2007 the plant has also been producing rail. It previously produced plate but the plate mill was closed in 2016. In 2016, Tata sold the plant to Greybull Capital who subsequently renamed the company to British Steel.