What's inside this year's report?
Global seaborne markets are retaining some demand and price strength heading into 2022, after a wild spike in prices at the end of last year. Pandemic-driven economic stimulus, supply shortages, and weather-related events, all combined to lead to record breaking prices in 2021. However, will the market tightness continue through the rest of this year?
Our coal analysts lay out the top themes to watch in 2022:
- Chinese government controls will soften seaborne thermal coal prices
- Total seaborne imports will grow, primarily driven by India, Vietnam, and Japan
- Seaborne coal supplies will remain tight
- Surging producer cashflow to restore M&A firepower
- Carbon policies will gain greater traction