The Corpus Christi alumina refinery was commissioned in 1953 by Reynolds in a two train configuration totalling 365ktpa. It initially used bauxite from Haiti. The refinery was expanded in stages through 1958 1972 to 1.4Mtpa. By acquiring Corpus Christi in 2007 Glencore rebuilt its position in alumina following the merger of its other refining assets into UC Rusal. The refinery is operated by Sherwin Alumina.