What's inside this year's report?
Europe enters 2022 with high and volatile gas prices and worries about potential gas shortages over winter.
Security and flexibility of supply as well as the role of gas in the energy transition is now the top of the EU agenda. Key decisions will need to be made, shaping the European – and global – gas market for decades to come.
Here are five things we'll be watching closely in 2022:
- Nord Stream 2 – uncertainty around the start-up is growing
- Storage: will an EU strategic storage strategy emerge in 2022?
- New contracts can deliver security of supply, but will require a long-term commitment
- Indigenous supply – will record gas prices encourage European production?
- Will the EU taxonomy include gas-fired plants as "transitional investments"?