Major change expected across the value chain
On the PTA side, after a long period where BP dominated the merchant PTA market in North America, the outlook is for a much more diverse supply of PTA, particularly after the integrated plant is completed.
The North American MEG market is also on the cusp of a major revolution with a significant number of new ethylene plants coming on stream utilising cheap natural gas from shale fracking. This makes the regional MEG market one of the cheapest cost producers in the world.
Anti-dumping and countervailing duties effect trade
The growing number of polyester anti-dumping and countervailing duties is changing the regional trade dynamics for PET and fibre which will have major implications for the domestic industry over the forecast period.
The impact of recycling in North America
Sustainability issues and RPET usage is growing, with the usage of chemical recycling likely to increase under the pressure from brand owners. Considering that North America remains one of the countries with the lowest recovery records globally – the impact seen in this region will be huge.
The North American polyester landscape
Wood Mackenzie Chemicals has released a new study that considers these changes and reviews the potential impact across the full value chain from crude oil, to paraxylene, PTA, MEG, down to the major polyester markets and through to recycling. The North American Polyester Landscape Study answers the following questions:
- What are the practical implications businesses need to consider with the start up of the new PET/PTA plant and what timings are expected?
- What changes can the market expect from the new joint venture with Alpek, Indorama and FENC?
- How will the new PET resin plant affect the upstream raw material market in the North America?
- What impacts do we expect to see through the polyester fibre chain, specifically PET imports, PTA trade and anti-dumping, from 2018-2022?
- How will recycling develop in North America with the new plant coming online, especially given that it’s currently not a big focus in the region?
- What are the cost structures in context for PET and PTA, and what are the implications for raw materials?
To receive an extract from the study, please complete the form on this page.