Asset Report

Middletown steel plant

Get this report


You can pay by card or invoice

For details on how your data is used and stored, see our Privacy Notice.

- FAQs about online orders
- Find out more about subscriptions

Cleveland-Cliffs' Middletown plant produces hot rolled coil, cold rolled coil, hot-dipped galvanised (HDG) and electro-galvanised (EG) steel products. Middletown is one of the highest-end producers of steel in the US capable of producing interstitial-free slab for enamelling and ultra-low carbon slab. The facility has one blast furnace, "3", which holds a hot metal output rate of 2.1 Mtpa. On 3 December 2019 Cleveland-Cliffs and AK Steel entered into a definitive merger agreement whereby the former acquired all of the issued and outstanding shares of AK Steel common stock. The deal, valued at approximately US$1.1 billion, saw Cleveland-Cliffs’ shareholders owning 68% of the combined company with AK Steel’s shareholders the remaining 32%.

Table of contents

  • Summary
  • Key issues
  • Iron ore
  • Coal
  • Coke
  • Metallics
  • Energy
  • Capital costs
  • Operating cash costs

Tables and charts

This report includes 11 images and tables including:

  • Detailed map
  • Participation
  • Steel plant overview
  • Key raw materials rates
  • Downstream products
  • Finished steel production
  • Production table (Mt)
  • Capital costs
  • Total operating cash costs - Finished steel
  • Operating cash cost table
  • Economic assumptions

What's included

This report contains:

  • Document


    XLS 298.00 KB

  • Document

    Middletown steel plant

    PDF 1.33 MB

  • Document

    Middletown steel plant

    ZIP 1.24 MB